Sunday, December 7, 2008

The Japanese Natto Bean



I see a commercial for this stuff quite often, and each time it grosses me out.

I only knew it by its Chinese name, na dou, until I looked it up on the internet, and turns out it's Japanese. Apparently it's really popular over there. Supposed to be nutritious, full of protein, and dates back quite a long time. Smells like strong cheese, but doesn't taste like it. It is made from fermented soybeans that are mixed with a certain bacteria.

Not surprisingly, it is an acquired taste.

My mom said she can't handle eating them. Her mom would try to make her when she was little, and she could never do it. Personally, I don't think I could ever eat it either.

Bad enough that it smells like ammonia, but it looks like it's covered in spiderwebs or some sort of internal body mucous. It reminds me of the insides of that giant worm you fall into in Gears of War 2.

No comments: